Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat Stripey Hedgehog Reply To: Stripey Hedgehog

I think that’s way I want to convince myself it’s just mud, because I hate the fact that someone might be picking them up, distressing them, and then putting paint on them, when they look so beautiful naturally. I think if you are doing it for surveillance, where you are getting paid for it and it’s for the benefit of research for the wildlife trusts, then that’s ok – but to do it just to see if the same hedgehog returns to your garden is very wrong and shouldn’t be allowed at all. People shouldn’t be picking up hedgehogs and distressing them unnecessarily, only if they are poorly or injured and your taking them inside to check them and then transfer them to a hedgehog rescue centre.

With the hedgehogs I watch on a night, I sit as quietly as possible, so not sure if they know that I’m there, unless they can smell me. One saw me once, as I just came out the door, and he stopped in his tracks, but I sat down quietly and stayed still, and it then moved and went towards the feeding station after a few minutes – but I don’t come anywhere near them, I think it’s wrong.

I share your anger Nic, I really do. I’m gonna get really angry if I find out it’s not mud. Especially because Huffy is distinguishable anyway because he constantly huffs.

Hedgehog