Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat Slugs and snails and puppy dogs tails………… Reply To: Slugs and snails and puppy dogs tails…………

Nic

Hi Hedgie Lover

I don’t know where you feed the hogs, but I’m thinking eggshells may be a bit messy, although some people do claim they deter slugs, etc. But you’d need quite a lot and it’s possible the hogs wouldn’t like it – don’t know, never tried.

If you have a wooden frame, that might work with the copper tape. Although I’ve never tried that either. I think you can buy it from garden centres, although I got mine from a catalogue. It is sticky and you peel some paper from the back to reveal the sticky side. Just make sure it is firmly fixed and none is protruding to potentially injure the hogs – it’s quite sharp – so be careful with your fingers as well whilst fixing it. Although it should be fairly easy on straight sides. If you put it on the vertical sides the hogs will probably just step over it and won’t need to tread on it themselves at all.

I feed the hogs on a paved area and find that if it’s dry the slugs don’t seem to like the roughness of the paving, so it’s really only when it’s damp or raining that they visit. But you could use any material that they don’t like moving over, i.e. possibly sand. It might be a case of trial and error.

Hedgehog