Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog A little help! Reply To: A little help!

Hi Chris,
I am not an expert but have picked up things whilst on the forum.
The hogs may have been attracted to your garden by the new bugs or a nest could have been disturbed.
In general they should not be out in the day though occasionally a nursing mummy may come out looking for food and a rest. As they are now back being nocturnal I wouldn’t be concerned but keep an eye out for any distressed ones out in the day.
It sounds as if they like living under your shed and from what I have read this is not unusual.
It’s great you want to help them and so lovely you have young ones. You are very lucky.
Hedgehogs like to roam to find natural food so any access in and out of your garden is great. We have dug holes under our gravel boards. They don’t need to be huge.
Supplementing their food is also very good particularly in extreme weathers and before hibernation so they can put on a decent amount of weight. Cat/dog food-preferably meaty flavours are ideal and so is hedgehog food.
Water is also VERY important. It needs to be in a shallow dish so a hoglet doesn’t get stuck/drown and topped up 24 hours a day. A thirsty hog may look for water during the day. Do not feed meal worms,suet balls, bread and milk.
Making or buying little houses for them is great too and possibly making a feeding station so that they aren’t vulnerable to predators while eating.
It sounds like you are already doing a great job so well done and welcome to the forum.

Hedgehog