Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings so happy – Huffy is nesting in my garden Reply To: so happy – Huffy is nesting in my garden

well no I’m not sure – but he had a good session of biffing another hedgehog the other week, over food, so I thought that’s what the males do – unless the females do it too? do you know?

I crept over quietly on Friday afternoon, and gently put some straw by the entrance to see if he/she would take it in for extra bedding to keep warm, and bless him, he’s not taken it in, but he’s made a little hole in the straw where he comes in and out, it’s a tiny hole , – so I don’t feel as bad now for only having a 4inch hole in my feeding station (instead of the recommended 5inch).

During the week he spent all night making a lot of noise, and I wondered then if he was making a nest, I thought I could hear him make a scratching noise, I thought that he might have had fleas, but I haven’t noticed him scratch himself before. I see the hedgehogs give themselves in a little scratch quiet regularly, but this scratching was going on all night – and then later in the night I did see him go in to a pile of brash, the next morning I saw the hole he’d made, so the scratching must have been that – I’ve not heard him do that since, and I’ve seen him quite a bit, going in and out of the feeding station. He’s gonna end up obese! But I seem to be getting more and more hedgehogs, but I can distinguish Huffy as he comes in a few times every night – and he never stops huffing, however he stopped huffing when he was busy making a lot of noise, building his nest.

Now I think the scratching noise was actually when he might have been making the hole, do they dig with their paws?

I’d love to see a youtube clip of a hedgehog making a hole.

Hedgehog