Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat Trail cam Reply To: Trail cam

Further to my previous post about Browning cameras and my decision to try a Spypoint Force 20, if you are thinking of doing the same, DON’T! I have devoted a whole page Camera Woes to detailing what is wrong with this camera but in a nutshell, more often than not, it fails to record anything. E.g. food being eaten but nothing recorded showing what is eating it; hedgehogs entering food station but no video of them leaving etc. Also the focal length of the lens is too long i.e. the angle of view too narrow which limits what is recorded [when it is recorded at all!] to just the centre of the field of view and misses all peripheral action. It is also optically very poor. It claims to be 20mp but this is what they call an ‘interpolated’ image, not achieved optically but artificially inflated by software creating duplicate pixels which serve only to create a bigger image, thus attaining the manufacturer’s claim, while merely adding fuzziness to the output image. Finally the resolution and quality of image is poor compared to cameras costing half as much. There is an example on Camera Woes showing an image from the Spypoint camera compared with that from a cheap camera. The latter produced FHD [Full High Definition] images 1920 x 1080 px whereas the Spypoint produces only HD images 1280 x 720 px or 720p in the jargon. As can be seen in the examples, the Spypoint image is poor.

Hedgehog