Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat Is this behaviour normal? Reply To: Is this behaviour normal?

Nic

Hi Annker

Yes, I think humans must be pretty scary to lots of animals!

I think it may have been someone else who said something about torches. Shining them at hogs should not be encouraged and should only be used in an emergency if a hog needs rescuing for some reason. It is probably not so much that the hog wasn’t bothered by it, than it was dazzled by it.

Glad to hear you have a new hog there. It can be quite amusing watching their antics. Probably the best way to watch them is to have an area that is lit, so that they can choose to go into that area or not. Then they will often provide lots of entertainment, what with biffing sessions, courtship circling, etc. I feed near to the house, so that I can see them out of the window, with the room I am in being dark, so they can’t see me and I don’t interfere with any of their interactions. Even so, they often ‘appear’ to be looking at me with those lovely shiny eyes.

Hedgehog