Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Oh what a sad day !😢 Reply To: Oh what a sad day !😢

Hi Annker
Great to hear you have another little hog to support! You must be doing something right to attract so many.
I had a visiting hoglet two nights ago, but nothing on the trail cam and no evidence that it has returned. I will have to check the hedgehog house, to see if there is any evidence that it’s occupied. Although there won’t be any bedding in it, as Hetty has taken it all under the shed for a refurbishment!
Of course I don’t know if it was Big Bruiser dead on the road yesterday. But it’s really sad seeing anything wild loose it’s life because of mankind! As far as Bruiser is concerned, I guess I’m just going to have to wait and see if he returns for mating next year, as he was very interested in Hetty . I don’t think she was mature enough for hoglets this year, but who knows- maybe next year!
I had another sad event this morning, I opened my curtains and there was a lifeless dove on the grass . On closer inspection I was surprised it was still alive.
The thought of it being so vulnerable and at risk of being mutilatated by the cats around here ( of which there are many) I checked it over and put it out in the back garden in a box on a blanket. It’s still alive as I write, so I’m hopeful that with a bit of rest to get over the shock it may recover.
It’s at times like this I wish I was more knowledgeable about these things and knew the best course of action.
I was relieved to see Hetty on the cam this morning, just popping back into the feeding station for a snack before sleep!
Take care x

Hedgehog