Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog Itchy and Scratchy Hog Reply To: Itchy and Scratchy Hog

Hi Sam, welcome to hogaholics forums.

I have several that scratch themselves frequently and I don’t worry about it to be honest. I also capture footage on trailcams but remember at this time of year, lots of plants are setting seed so in their foraging journeys, they will be picking up seeds and weeds of course. I put it down to that because so long as they are scampering well, [they can’t half run] then they are fine.

The only worry is if they get mites which can be a real nuisance and cause agonising pain but it is not detectable to the naked eye, so trailcams won’t be much use in determining if the hog has mites. Fly strike is the other hazzard and that’s where maggots are evident. If you see anything of that nature it needs professional help immediately.

Hope that reassures you.
Dale

Hedgehog