Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings I'm new to this Reply To: I'm new to this

Nic

Hi Sash

Welcome to the Forum.

I wouldn’t want to use one of those cat scarers with hogs around. Some retailers may claim they don’t effect hogs, but in reality they don’t really know. Likewise with rodent scarers. I put a rodent scarer out during the daytimes for a short while when I had a rat visiting, to see if it worked. I tried to be careful to take it in every evening before the hogs arrived, but once a hog got here early, before I took it in. I saw the hog visibly flinch as it passed the rodent scarer. So needless to say, it was no longer used outside after that.

Good luck with feeding station. I have found over the years, that some hogs just don’t like going into boxes so I have some perspex type sheet on earth filled flower pots with bricks on top to stop it being pushed up/blown away. The hogs consider this to be still outside, it keeps the rain off the food, and seems to work better than the boxes I have tried. The sheet does need to be quite large to deter the cats, though. But it’s easily moved out of the way during the day and you can see the hogs through it.

Hope all goes well with the hogs.

Hedgehog