Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog When to check Hedgehog Houses and/or intervene Reply To: When to check Hedgehog Houses and/or intervene

I find using straw is a good way of knowing if they have been in or out of the home – put some in the entrance, and check next day if it’s been flattened.

I did that to a nest I witnessed a hedgehog make during the night – I decided to leave some straw near the entrance, not to see if he was using it but to give him something he could use as nesting material – and the next day he hadn’t flattened it, but he had made a hole through it which was really cute.

Then the week after the straw disappeared and has gone inside the nest.

I’ve also got a wooden hedgehog house, and use straw and have some in the entrance, and someone has visited it as the straw has been flattened in the entrance,

The thing is with twigs, they might step over it, and manage to get in and out without moving the twig, or the wind might move it, so you’d never be completely sure.

Hedgehog