Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings has Huffy stopped huffing or is it a different hedgehog? Reply To: has Huffy stopped huffing or is it a different hedgehog?

I saw him a few times tonight as well, and I realise now he doesn’t huff all the time – so perhaps when he went missing for a couple of weeks, he actually hadn’t gone missing – and I probably saw him a few times without realising.

He’s my most frequent visitor, he comes quite a lot during the night – so I usually see him about 3 times each night – and he was one of my first visitors that came when I first started feeding them.

He made a nest 2 weeks ago in my garden, and tonight I think he spent some time in it, as he went in that direction, but next time I looked outside, he had bought a lady friend with him to the feeding station, so he’s probably on date night tonight.

I’ve noticed that the nest isn’t being used during the day – I can tell as the entrance to it is very open and I can see directly inside from a distance – I just think it’s a ‘in-between snacking nest’.

I really don’t know how many visitors I am getting – however, 3 at the absolute minimum, as quite often there has been 3 in the feeding station at one time. They just tend to ignore each other and carry on eating, sometimes there is a bit of gentle biffing going on, so I wonder if most of them are female?

I think Huffy is male, as a month ago, he really went for a biffing session on this poor hedgehog, but I haven’t seen him do it since. That’s why I think the other hedgehog in the feeding station tonight was his female friend, as no biffing, she ate some food, and the left within half a minute apart and ran in the same direction.

Usually one of them would curl into a ball, and make a run for it, when it gets the chance, or stay balled up until the biffer has disappeared, they certainly don’t leave together.

Hedgehog