Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings So very sad Reply To: So very sad

Nic

Hi Dee

Good to see you on the Forum again.

I have read your other post so have seen a hog has appeared – brilliant! Really pleased for you. But it is sad how much the numbers have declined. I have noticed a marked reduction in numbers here, too. I still have some visiting, but nothing like as many as before.

I think it is definitely a good idea to talk to your neighbours further afield about hog holes, so that you can make a really good hedgehog highway. That way the hogs will have less need to cross roads. Also with more people hard landscaping, they need even more space to find some suitable habitat.

Just on a more positive note, as you hinted at, it’s possible that more other people are feeding the hogs as the words spreads, which could mean less hogs to visit each garden and in some cases possibly none (or none when you are about to see them).

Really glad that you have seen a hog at last. Fingers crossed for it. Not long to hibernation now, so hope it stays safe.

Hedgehog