Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat Identifying Hedgehogs from their Natural Markings Reply To: Identifying Hedgehogs from their Natural Markings

Nic

Hi HedgieLover

I don’t expect Hufffy will disappear due to the other hog being around. He might just adjust his timing a bit, but maybe not even that.

I think it’s unlikely that a whole streak would be a natural marking. (Although, of course, it does depend a bit on what you mean by a streak!). They do occasionally have small areas of pale spines, but usually no more than half a dozen and usually less – not as much as I would think of as a streak. Huffy may have split loyalties and be visiting elsewhere as well!

You would be better off, now that you know which one he is, having a really good look at his other markings,especially his face, and make a note of them. (If you are writing a description or doing a drawing, it makes you look more carefully.) That way you are more likely to recognise him next year after hibernation, when any artificial marking may have worn off.

The hogs won’t be thinking of the hog house as a home. To them it’s just a place to have a nap or spend a few days. It just happens to be a place which you have provided. I wouldn’t worry too much about it. Wait and see what happens next. But that is the advantage of having a wildlife friendly garden, so that there are other potential places for Huffy to go. He will know his local area pretty well and will know where there are suitable places to sleep.

But, just because he doesn’t spend the day in your garden, doesn’t mean Huffy won’t be back for food. Most of the hogs which have visited here over the years have not been living here, or even, other than occasionally, spent the day here. They can travel up to 2 miles a night – so quite a few gardens worth.

Hedgehog