Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog tales Do hedgehogs follow old routes ? Reply To: Do hedgehogs follow old routes ?

Nic

Hi Puddle Duck

That’s lovely. It would be nice to think hedgehogs had been using ancient pathways! But I can’t see why they wouldn’t have.

I know that the hogs which visit me nearly always come along the path. It always makes me laugh that they seem to prefer that to walking up the lawn (which would be a slightly shorter distance). But to them it must just be an easy route to get around. So that may have been the case there, too. A bit unfortunate that it crosses the road, though.

But hogs may be following the scent of other hedgehogs, so that multiple hedghogs could be using the same route at different times and that could have been something that has gone on for a very long time. I have a feeling there were a great many more hedgehogs around in the 1800s. But, I have been told that someone who walks their dog at night along old trackways often sees hedgehogs.

The sightings on the map could just be because that’s where the people were to see the hogs, but even so, the hogs could have been using that route.

There’s no way of knowing for sure, but it’s a nice thought.

Hedgehog