Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Nesting? Is it too late for babies? Reply To: Nesting? Is it too late for babies?

This one is a yes and no situation! No, it’s not too late for them to produce kids but Yes it’s quite possibly too late for them to get big enough for hibernation.

It does sound like SmurfPrickles resident is preparing for babies since it’s too early for building a hibernatorium. I have the exact same problem since there was some very obvious nest building going on recently and yesterday I heard chirping coming from the hog house so I definitely have very young hoglets in there.

These hoglets are unlikely to strike out on their own until into October and then the chances of them getting big enough to hibernate are really slim. So, all I can do is keep a close eye on things and then once they’ve left mum hope that I can grab them and get them to a carer for winter. I know from previous years though, once they leave home they may not hang around and I may well miss nabbing them. I know I lost 3 last year by them evading capture.

There’s not a lot one can do for the moment unfortunately other than to be prepared for the right moment to go hoglet hunting.

Hedgehog