Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Poo spotted despite builder's mess… Reply To: Poo spotted despite builder's mess…

Nic

Hi Annie

So pleased you have been getting lots of hog action there. Lovely that they are foraging as well. That sounds a very enterprising fox! Hopefully it’s one that doesn’t bother hogs.

Yes, little Siili is a marvel. She’s still visiting every night. Igel missed one night recently and I wondered whether she had finally attracted the attention of a male for long enough! Too late now, the males seem to have disappeared.

But naughty Igel was nudging Siili the other night (not a real biff, as such). The other hogs don’t seem to know what to make of Siili. What with the males sometimes running away from her, when they were still here. But if Igel was the other hoglet who was here when Siili was, at the end of last year, as I suspect, they never seemed to get on particularly well then. I hope that Siili will eventually become less scary to the males. It would be nice if she had hoglets next year.

A cat managed to get under my Perspex sheet feeding area the other night (or morning, I should day) – more fool me for putting the food too close to the edge so I could see the hogs better! Luckily it was about 4 in the morning, so Siili and Igel had already spent a fair amount of time here eating.

There was a hoglet, who I saw visit for a few nights. A really pretty little thing, but it didn’t go to the food and I haven’t seen it again for about a week now, which is sad. But still plenty of time for more to appear!

I had to do a bit of clearing in my long grass bank area – I always do it by hand to avoid harming anything – and this tiny frog kept appearing – or hopefully, more than one. (opposite side of the house to my ponds, so no connection). I think it/they will be ok, because the grass doesn’t get really short, pulling it by hand and there are patches of other plants, too. But so nice that it is providing homes for things. Apparently sometimes people see grasshoppers there as they walk past, too.

Hedgehog