Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Oh my goodness! I’m unable to contain my glee! Reply To: Oh my goodness! I’m unable to contain my glee!

Nic

Hi Hettihog

Sorry to hear you didn’t get anywhere re. the hedgehog signs. But good news about the hoglet. If there is one, there may be more as well.

If you are going to weigh the hoglet, I would be prepared and have your scales ready in the garden, together with something which you can fit the hoglet into to be weighed – and gloves, of course. I find that underweight hoglets fit easily into those 1 litre ice cream tubs. Then you can weigh the hoglet with minimum disturbance. If it is over the 350g, which Stef suggested for this time of year, then you can release it. If you keep providing food, it will hopefully put on weight quickly to reach the 450g which it will need to be, a bit later, to survive hibernation.

I would have a container to put the hog into in case it weighs under 350g. So a high sided cardboard box with torn newspaper or similar so that it can burrow into it. Some people use an old hand towel. If you need to keep the hoglet until the next day, you will need to provide food and water. I usually put a fair amount of newspaper sheets in the bottom of the container to soak up any water which might be spilt.

Hogs are very clever at escaping from boxes, so if you have an old pet carrier, you could use that instead. I usually use an old cat carrying basket if a hog needs transporting – so I put the hog straight in there to spend the night.

I would be inclined to contact your local carer/rehabilitator beforehand, to make sure they have room, in case the hoglet needs taking in. Make sure that you can have the hoglet back, at the appropriate time, to release where you found it.

Good luck. Hope all goes well.

Hedgehog