Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Oh my goodness! I’m unable to contain my glee! Reply To: Oh my goodness! I’m unable to contain my glee!

Hi Nic
Thanks for the advice. The little hog was out feeding again tonight promptly at 7.30pm. It is drinking well and eating copious amounts of food! I put out spikes semi moist and the spikes dry food that Hetty just won’t entertain – I saw the wee one again about 30mins ago and watched it empty the second dish. Not sure if I’ve done right, but it’s a long night for a wee hog so I’ve refilled one of the dishes ( the wee one doesn’t seem to like Hettys feeding stations ( she has two) so I’ve made a separate feeding station with the plant pot idea just for this little cutie). I’m assuming from reading historical posts on the forum that you can’t overfeed?
I also think the wee one has taken up residence in the vacant hog house – luckily I had already filled it with new straw .
Not sure how I feel about capturing the little one for weighing! Especially as it is feeding so well, I’m sure I could weigh it if you think it is absolutely necessary and I would hate to think of it not making it through to next year – but surely being captured will cause significant trauma! Oh what a dilemma!
I think I will change the position of the camera tomorrow so that I get it on film, maybe if you see the size of it you may be able to tell me yes or no about an adequate size.
If it’s a no and survival depends on being weighed I will weigh and call the carer if underweight.
I saw it close up yesterday and it has all it’s spikes, does that tell you something about it’s age?
Sorry I’m such a light weight lol – I’m just struggling with the very idea of capturing a wild animal! If would be different if it was unwell, but it looks so healthy!
Hopefully I will get my head around the idea.
Keep you updated.

Hedgehog