Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Update on Cutie Reply To: Update on Cutie

Hi Nic
Thanks for your encouragement and info. I think Hetty was a juvenile this time last year. I remember the first time I saw her I thought she was a baby as in hoglet!! lol! I’ve learnt such a lot since those early days, most of it from all the beautiful caring people on this forum!
I’m pretty sure Cutie has recovered fully from the experience of being captured, as have I lol!
And I think I will be much more confident if I need to weigh hoglets in the future, now that I know that no real harm was caused.
The video footage is great to check well-being and it warmed my heart to see Hetty and Cutie feeding side by side last night – Cutie, just like Hetty has very distinctive colouring on her back and apart from the difference in size and leg length ( Hetty has legs up to her armpits ! Even longer than Big Bruiser! Lol) they could be twins! Do you think Cutie could be Hettys hoglet? I had assumed Cutie arrived in my garden having been tufted out of a nest somewhere else! But I’ve not seen any evidence of any other hoglets and I thought they all had more than one!
Its really wet here but Cutie is not deterred by the rain, however I was thinking if the weather changes and it becomes really cold I would not be adverse to weighing Cutie again, just to be sure that the video footage translates to body fat and an acceptable weight what do you think? Weigh or not to weigh!
I’ve read the ideal weight is 600grams by Nov-Dec ? I would guess Hetty was about 600grams when she first emerged from hibernation at the beginning of the year.
Anyway thus far things are looking good for Hetty and Cutie – Big Bruiser has disappeared again, but the food is ready and waiting if he decides to pop in for a midnight snack!
My obsession continues lol!
Thanks again, happy hog watching! x

Hedgehog