Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat Feeding station Reply To: Feeding station

Nic

Hi Annker

I think you must have missed the bit which said: ‘… big ones, which actually perform an important role in the garden, breaking down fallen vegetation, etc….’ It is apparently the smaller ones which eat the live plants. But if you have a problem with slugs eating plants, the best thing to do is try to get plants which slugs aren’t so keen on, or put some sort of slug deterrant around individual plants.

Re. the copper tape. The type I have seen had straight edges, but if it sticks out, because it is quite thin, it is a bit sharp. The idea is to stick it to something so that the edges do not stick out and it is flattened so that there are no sharp bits sticking out. But you would want to flatten it to prevent water getting behind it as well. I believe it works by giving the slugs a slight electric shock which deters them.

Hedgehog