Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Hedgehogs Moved Back To Our Garden, hurray!! Reply To: Hedgehogs Moved Back To Our Garden, hurray!!

Nic

Hi JMG

Well the advice says:
as long as it’s being eaten. It’s difficult to tell exactly when hedgehogs will begin hibernation, so when you start to see that food is not being taken, you can stop putting so much out and eventually stop altogether.

Hedgehogs do sometimes wake up from hibernation in response to milder weather. If you notice any particularly mild periods over winter, you could put a little food back out to help them along.”

We sometimes hear of people saying they’re leaving food out all winter, but it could of course attract unwanted visitors as well. So following the advice above, might save some food. Even the dry stuff needs changing every so often. I tend to keep an eye out and leave my cameras on. The last two years I have had hogs here who chose not to hibernate at all (one each year), so obviously continued to supplementary feed. But it’s a bit of a case of ‘playing it by ear’.

Hedgehog