Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat Preserving a new wooden hedgehog house – ideas for doing this? Reply To: Preserving a new wooden hedgehog house – ideas for doing this?

Thanks Nic. I think I have bought the wrong hedgehog house again then, as it has a flat roof! Oh dear. I can see from what I have read that could be a problem maybe with leaking, though it hasn’t arrived yet for me to examine properly.

It’s interesting about what you say re hedgehogs and the steps. I have since found out that our hedgehog (or maybe another one) has left us a nice present of a poo on our front step which he would have had to climb first to do this. We have a terraced house and my hogilo that he was sleeping in (but now isn’t) is round the back, and to get to our step he had to walk around the end house from back to the side and then the front, and through the hedge and into our front and onto the step. I am now thinking of putting food at the front as well to try and catch him there but maybe he’s now long gone. I gather that they can walk long distances at night. I will probably put the new house at the front too when I have decided how I am going to stop it leaking.

Incidentally, I gather that it’s a good idea to put ventilation holes at the side of it too. Another challenge, with both me and husband having no DIY skills or tools.

Hedgehog