Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat Preserving a new wooden hedgehog house – ideas for doing this? Reply To: Preserving a new wooden hedgehog house – ideas for doing this?

Nic

Hi Aggie

You may find that the hog house has a slightly sloping roof. Mine look more or less flat, but are in fact sloping. It shouldn’t be completely flat, that wouldn’t be a very sensible way to build it. But if it does turn out to be completely flat, I would just place it not completely flat, so that the water would still run off. (i.e. maybe a cm. higher one side than the other). If the hogs are making a nest, they will soon even that out inside. It should also already have ventilation holes in it.

The only thing about feeding out the front of your house is to bear in mind the road situation. I had a similar situation. Some of the hogs used to go through the garden a couple of doors down to get here, but some come from the other side as well. Probably most now. I have in the past thought about feeding out the front as well, but decided not to in case it encouraged them to cross the road.

Hedgehog