Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog tales Two in one house Reply To: Two in one house

Hi Rosieyvonne
You would be well advised to take the advice provided on this site by the experts like nic and simbo65.
If the hogs are small you need to weigh them. Because if they are not up to weight they won’t make it through the winter. It’s too late in the year now for them to put the required weight on, even if as you say they are eating well.
It depends on your area / climate but I was told the hoglet I was going to to weigh would need to be at least 450grams – but you need to bear in mind that Cutie the hoglet in my garden was weighed months ago and has had plenty of time to pack the food away and put on weight and it’s only now that I feel confident Cutie will be big enough to survive.
If I found a small hog now I would definitely be prepared to weigh and rescue. It’s most likely that the hogs need to be taken to a hedgehog carer centre to overwinter and develop ready for release.
All the details you need are provided on the forum.
Hopefully nic will see your post and reply.
Wishing you and your little visitors lots of luck. x

Hedgehog