Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Still very active and eating for England! Reply To: Still very active and eating for England!

Nic

Hi Hettihog

I completely agree re. the naming. The same with any animal – so much easier than saying the one with ….. and …

Yes, not saying he would have been making advances, just maybe. I once had a quite large male here, who started making advances to a really quite small female hoglet. I thought she might be frightened of this huge (to her) hog who kept circling her, but she didn’t seem to mind. Of course it was never going anywhere. But it wasn’t a one off, it was repeated over several nights. Always the same hoglet. Must have been a very precocious hoglet! He was one of the males a bit lower down the ‘pecking order’, although most of the other males had already left for hibernation. But, maybe he thought that was the only chance he would get to do a bit of hog ‘dancing’.

Yes, you’re right, of course. It’s more important that they are fit and well for winter than if they are male or female.

Hedgehog