Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat Preserving a new wooden hedgehog house – ideas for doing this? Reply To: Preserving a new wooden hedgehog house – ideas for doing this?

Thanks Nic! My hedgehog house has just arrived and my husband has just put it together. I didn’t realise it was flat packed and was wondering if I would have the wrist strength to screw it together, so glad he went to it, otherwise it was going to go to the neighbour!

The top in theory is flat, though because it doesn’t fit very well there is a slight slope to it. However, yes, that is a good idea to place it slightly on a slope too so that it will drain off. No ventilation holes either though there is a tiny crack at the top due to the non fitting top but of course unless I cover that then the water will go in! Otherwise it seems OK and at least they have raised it off the ground properly plus put a nice long tunnel to repel other invaders.

With regard to the front and back of our house, we (and the hedgehogs) are lucky on that score as we only have a footpath front and back and have hedging front and back too. The back footpath does lead to a parking bay and steep short road which goes up to a busier road, but it’s a few minutes walk away for a hedgehog. At the front end they have quite a way to get to a road and are unlikely to go down the flight of steps that leads to it, and there are more back gardens in front anyway (some have fences so not so hedgehog friendly) for them to visit. Next to my neighbour’s garden on one side is a huge wonderful garden for them, except there has been a lot of tree cutting this autumn and I wonder if this hedgehog moved out due to the weeks of noise.

Thank you Clevedon hog for your comments too. It sounds as if you have a busy time there with all those hedgehogs to feed!

Hedgehog