Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog Daylight hedgehog: is my new feeding station starving them? Reply To: Daylight hedgehog: is my new feeding station starving them?

One of Nic’s posts below:
“You may have seen that hoglets need to weigh at least 450g to survive hibernation, but the cut-off point depends a bit from place to place – weather conditions, etc. So it might be a good idea to check with your local carer/rehabilitator as to when it needs to be that weight in your area. (you can get contact details from BHPS 01584 890801) Then you can weigh the little hog. Hopefully it will already be over 450g and you can let it go again immediately. Otherwise, hopefully the local rescue will have room for it to be over-wintered.”

The thing is to check with local carer re weight for your area.
You would have to tell them that the little one is still with mum as this might be important.

Re your big hedgehog with bad leg- I have had 2 like this and both times they have had leg amputated. I don’t know if he needs a hot water bottle hopefully one of the experts will let you know. I did read they mustn’t be too hot or get cold though.
I doubt your feeding station is starving them unless the entrance is tiny. Mine have an 10cm diameter pipe going into them and the hogs are getting through to the food without a problem.

Please let us know what the carer says and good luck

Hedgehog