Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog Daylight hedgehog: is my new feeding station starving them? Reply To: Daylight hedgehog: is my new feeding station starving them?

Thank you. I put the rescued adult in a plastic box, then placed that box inside a much bigger/taller cardboard one. The hot water bottle was in the outer part, next to one wall of the inner box, so the hog could move away from it if it wanted. The boxes were in a heated room.

What happened was the hedgehog kept climbing out of the smaller box (where I put it when I was cleaning up the mess) onto the wrapped hot water bottle, where it would fall asleep. Every now and then it would go and get some food, then climb back onto the hot water bottle (I was rotating two). Before I went to bed I cut an old fleece jacket into smaller pieces and it seemed to like snuggling up in that too.

It survived the night (it was very active) and is now with the vet. If it survives I have asked if it can be released back into the garden. It’s my first attempt at a rescue and after the noise, smell, mess and angst I feel a) happy I gave it a go and b) better prepared to do it again.

Thanks again for the advice. There was frost on the ground this morning so I’ll focus on what to do (or not do) about the hoglet next.

Hedgehog