Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings What To Feed Hedgehogs & The Danger Of Too Many Mealworms! Reply To: What To Feed Hedgehogs & The Danger Of Too Many Mealworms!

Hi-
Yes, from what I have read meal worms are bad for hedgehogs. Sadly hedgehogs become addicted to them and they will eat only them despite better nutritious food…a bit like me with Pringles or a carrot!
I read some good advice from Nic but can’t remember the post it was on but basically you need to wean them off the meal worms. Reduce the amount each day mixing them with cat/dog/hedgehog food (maybe use kibble to prevent some wastage). If they don’t eat it don’t worry- in general I think they will eat the other food when they get hungry.
Hogs should be hibernating soon and when they wake in the spring will be hungry. Don’t have meal worms in their food in Spring. This will be the ideal time to get them used to different food.
With the hoglets you will need to keep an eye on their weight. Do you know how old they are? You really don’t want them to have meal worms as this could lead to awful problems for them as they grow.
Have a look at the posts re hoglet weights/hibernation/overwintering etc.
Let us know how it goes.

Hedgehog