Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings What To Feed Hedgehogs & The Danger Of Too Many Mealworms! Reply To: What To Feed Hedgehogs & The Danger Of Too Many Mealworms!

To add to the mealworm debate it is frustrating that following what appears to be good scientific research into the problem feeding Hedgehogs mealworms there are still companies selling food for hedgehogs and highlighting the ‘delicious’ mealworm content, and also so called Hedgehog websites which have not updated their stance/advice following the published conclusions.
For my part I have a 5kg bag of mealworms which will now go to the birds (in small quantities) over the coming months.
I have now substituted mealworms for Calci worms and the Hogs have taken well to it and the combined nibble + calci worm feed they get is disappearing each night.

While I appreciate Ark Wildlife products are very well received, I personally find them expensive and have selected other suppliers for Nibbles and Calci worms. As an example Ark charge £46.80 for 20kg of nibbles while I pay £29.99. In respect to Calci worms Ark charge £24.95 for 1kg while I pay £53.95 for 10kg (£5.39/kg). I have no way of comparing the quality of the respective products, but their ingredients seem to be similar, and the Hogs are not complaining either.

Hedgehog