Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog Any room for a hedgehog near BN16- West Sussex Reply To: Any room for a hedgehog near BN16- West Sussex

Hi Hetty,
So glad to hear Tiny is doing well and that Cutie is still stuffing her face!
Keeping everything crossed for Hetty and Big Bruiser and all the other beautiful hoggies out there that have gone into hibernation. Tiny is a great example that with some intervention from us humans nature will do it’s own thing. Have you seen Alan’s videos? It amazes me that even though the hoglets in his garden were so small they still had the instinct to nest build. Amazing stuff.
Big Leg seems OK but I have never done this so am not sure what I am looking for. He doesn’t seem to have eaten much but he is hiding under hay and seems to be asleep. We are not going to clean/weigh check him until this evening so that hopefully he is sleeping during the day as he should. I have also put a light on so that he may get a difference between night and day. I am sure I read that somewhere but if it sounds like nonsense can someone let me know. I have now had a few conversations with vet, Brent Lodge and BHPS and the general feeling is to keep him in the garage for a few days and then put him back into the hedgehog house at dusk. We will check that he is still a good weight (over 1 KG when he went to the vet) and that he can roll into a good ball. If he is still a good weight the thoughts are he should be given the opportunity to hibernate and be a wild animal. It breaks my heart to see him couped up.
I am taking my own advice and have told myself that we have done the best we can and now we have to trust in his fighting spirit and nature to do its thing.
Thanks for the words of encouragement.

Hedgehog