Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog Rescued hoglet – 240g Reply To: Rescued hoglet – 240g

Nic

Hi simbo65

I should probably clarify that I was meaning with underweight hoglets, when I said above about maybe sometimes humans intervening too soon. (although these two are very small and so probably do need rescuing) (But, I shouldn’t write posts late at night!) With sick/injured hogs, it’s a bit different and then to get help quickly is important.

I would always take hogs to a carer/wildlife hospital rather than a vet, in the first instance and if at all possible – I think they are more likely to try to save the hog. (and they would take them to a vet if necessary). I have a feeling that if Siili had gone straight to a vet, they might have euthanased her as they did with another one with a similar injury a while back. But the dedicated people at the wildlife hospital nursed her back to health, which of course takes up a lot of time.

P.S. No Siili last night. Maybe she really is going to hibernate this year.

Hedgehog