Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog Help! I have a small hedgehog. Reply To: Help! I have a small hedgehog.

Nic

Hi Coley

On the face of it calci-worms look ok. But the only information I have seen about the calcium and phosphorous ratio is provided by suppliers of them – and they do say they contain more calcium than phosphorous, which is good. I suppose they wouldn’t make those claims if they weren’t correct. I haven’t tried them myself, other than as part of a balanced hog food. I think I’d be inclined to stick to cat/dog/hog food – they tend to have added vitamins, etc, too, but if you want to give a few calci-worms now and then it doesn’t sound as if they would do any harm.

Re. sitting in the feeding dish – a favourite occupation of hoglets, even if they aren’t in captivity! It’s actually quite a good way of judging how big the hoglet is (in the wild), in relation to the size of dish! The ones here seem to like standing in the dish (when they are quite small) and then eating round the edges. It also has the advantage of making sure no other hog can get at the food! So it’s just a matter of hoping they don’t poo whilst they’re in the dish.

Hedgehog