Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog Help With Healthy Juvenile in Town… Reply To: Help With Healthy Juvenile in Town…

Hi Simbo,

I’ve had the same thoughts. I have transferred the little one to a slightly larger box, topped up the dog food and added some chopped peanuts (best food I have with decent fat content). I made the decision earlier that, if the hoglet continued eating well that I would try and fatten it up for a few days before releasing it, and if it wasn’t eating (either through fear/trauma or the fact that it didn’t like the menu), it would stand a better chance fending for itself.

I have just been and checked up, as I guess now would be about when it would begin its evening foray for food, and I can hear it tucking into the food that I have left for it, so I think I’ll continue with my efforts for a little while longer, albeit with some trepidation.

Other than emergency handling, I am struggling to find good information that cover diets and best practice, at least from a single authoritative source. Synthesis of information from different websites is very time consuming and not always productive. There is a lot of contradiction out there, including the advice about whether or not to release a 400g hoglet in mid November. The fact that there is contradiction from within the BHPS is both confusing and frustrating.

So, if anyone is able, could you please answer the following?

Is it OK to continue supplementing the dog food with peanuts to add fat?
Would it be OK to supplement with some high sugar fruit too (I have plenty of dates, I could probably get some raisins or sultanas too), to boost calorie intake?
Should I be careful not to get the hoglet too accustomed to warmth, as I imagine that this may have a negative/shock effect when I do release it into the cold?

Anything else that anyone can add is very welcome.

Cheers,

Tony

Hedgehog