Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog Help With Healthy Juvenile in Town… Reply To: Help With Healthy Juvenile in Town…

Hi tony-
I am hoping Nic will see your plea. She is a font of all knowledge.
In the meantime it’s a no to peanuts, dates. Just straight meaty flavoured cat/kitten/dog puppy food in jelly or kibble (kitten or puppy for a little HH)
Nuts can stick in a hedgehog throat and there is science involved about the calcium/phosphorus ratio this applies to mealworms too. It can cause brittle bones.
Sugary fruits also a no no. Everything I have read or have been advised from rescues is just the pet food.
If the hog keeps eating just fill the food bowl. They do stop eating when full.
I don’t know about average weight gain.
Not such a nice job but your little one will need his box cleaned and fresh paper/ towel put in. Lots of shredded newspaper so he can get underneath. Use gloves when handling.
I would put a light on in the room for a bit during the day so that his biorhythms stay as normal as possible.
With the warmth situation- not 100%sure about this- but I would probably reduce the heat in the room gradually until it is off (over a couple of days)- Do you have a garage or shed?
Sorry I can not give you definitive answers- I am just going to see if I can find a recent post from Nic about this.
We can only do our best to help them and it’s really kind of you to be making such an effort.

Hedgehog