Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat Food Preference Reply To: Food Preference

I have only ever given our visitors Hedgehog nibbles (Food4wildbirds) and recently changed from mealworms to Calciworms (not branded version). I put out on average seven 4″ dishes split four and three in two feeding stations. Both stations are covered by plastic Under-bed storage containers with min 2 entrances. Most mornings all the food has gone and at most I might have about half a dish left over.
I did find an old post going back to July 17 by wlliam and nic discussing Calci worms. In regard to them being expensive they are currently about the same as mealworms. As always it depends on how you buy it i.e. I always buy bulk whether it is Sunflower kernels for the birds or Hedgehog nibbles/Calci worms as it is so cost effective. I bought 10kg of Calci worms for £54 which I think is pretty good. Also, my current understanding is that the Calcium/Phosphorous ratio is well within the accepted guidelines, but as always, the information available does vary. Certainly, the switch from mealworms to Calci worms has gone without any ‘complaints’ from the customers.

Hedgehog