Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog rescued 2 hedgehogs within the week Reply To: rescued 2 hedgehogs within the week

Thanks Simbo and Stef – Ideally Sweetpea would be outside, but the hedgehog hospital said to keep her in a warm dark room to avoid her going into hibernation as she is under 450g –

Looks like she might reach 450g by next week – but now that she’s been inside in the warmth, she might not be able to be released back as the weather is still quite cold,

but I’ll just follow the guidance from the hedgehog hospital. Even though the hedgehog hospital closest to me is full up and has no more boxes or space, she is still on the other end of the phone, guiding me through.

She’s also tell me when to release her back into the wild as well – so I don’t risk doing that too early or too late.

But anyway, she’ll probably take her in this weekend- even though she’s officially closed, because it’s possible she has internal parasites and probably needs medication, which she gets from her own vet.

It’s comforting to know, that I’ve got the hedgehog hospital to help me through – because I wouldn’t have had a clue.

So I’ve come to realise it’s important to weigh underweight hedgehogs each day at the same time, to check if their weight goes down – and also to get their poo sampled by a vet – even if it looks healthy and normal – as quite often they have internal parasites, and it can be fatal if they are young.

Hedgehog