Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog Another underweight hedgehog – 247g Reply To: Another underweight hedgehog – 247g

And another thing I’ve learnt – is that – because she’s inside, she’s going to bed late, after sunrise, so as soon as my alarm goes off – I open the blinds, to let her know, it’s bedtime. So yes, I followed the advice of the hospital to keep them in a dark room, but I realised myself, that’s it’s also good, during the day to let the light in, because at the moment, I think Sweetpea is a bit confused and going to bed a bit late – but she does have a lot of naps throughout the evening, and I guess throughout the night – so I’m not too concerned about it – when she’s settled in hospital (she goes on Sunday) she’ll get a better routine I think.
She is waking up at the normal time though, about 7.30pm – which is same time the first hedgehog visits the feeding station, so it’s not a huge issue – she’s finally got to bed now.

I mentioned earlier about keeping your tea towels separate, but I just occurred to mind, that I could just use kitchen roll instead, so I’m gonna put her tea towel in a hot wash, and then start drying her bowls with kitchen towel instead.

Rescuing hedgehogs, I’ve realised a few items are God send,

– puppy mats
– kitchen roll
– toilet roll
– surgical gloves
– small animal disinfect to clean your kitchen scales and your kitchen surfaces, and then clean the cage, along with boiling water after they’ve gone. And to wipe down gardening gloves after you’ve picked them up to weigh them.
– dog poop bags to put the puppy mats in.

Also, with your door handles – I’m disenfecting mine with the small animal disinfectant regularly, because after I’ve cleaned her cage out, I have to open doors to get to the wheely bin outside.

Beleive it or not I am no where near OCD, probably on the other end of that spectrum, but lungworm, internal parasites? A bit of OCD in this situ is ok.

At the hospital, she looks after them in her own house, but she has a room dedicated to the hedgehogs, and keep everything sterilised, so things can’t infect the rest of the house, I haven’t got that luxury.

Hedgehog