Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat Advice ,green slimy droppings in feeding station Reply To: Advice ,green slimy droppings in feeding station

Thanks Nic, I haven’t been thorough, but I will be now.

Sweetpea’s food bowl is currently soaking in boiling water – I did soak it first in hot tap water and sprayed cage disinfectant in the water, now it’s soaking in boiling water, then in the evening I’ll wash it again in hot soapy water, make sure there is no cage disinfectant on it – I does say on the bottle to use it to disinfect food bowls, but to thoroughly wash afterwards.

The disinfectant is ace, I love it – I’m using it on kitchen surfaces and kitchen sink as well. As well as spraying it on the garden gloves after I’ve picked her up. I’m not using it in the cage at the moment, I’ll wait til so goes to the hospital, then I’ll disinfect with the spray and wash it with boiling water.

I got a medium sized hamster cage, which only has cage bars on the lid for the entrance, the rest of it is pastic (blue base and clear plastic for the big lid).

And it’s good as it means I can clean it properly and use it again for another hog when needed.

Cardboard boxes, poo must get smeared all over it if they’ve got mushy poo.

Puppy mats are brilliant in the cage, soak up the wee and split water easily – and so easy to keep the cage clean. This morning I found that Sweetpea had dragged one half of the puppy mat out underneath her little box (where she sleeps) and it was quite mucky, so I wonder if she was trying to do some cleaning?

Other than that, she leaves the puppy mat where it is, but sometimes she does try to look underneath it in the hope that she can find more food.

I’ve found with newspaper, they like shredding it up, but with puppy mats, Sweetpea doesn’t do that, so hopefully the puppy mat will be a success in the feeding station, fingers crossed, because that will save me a lot of worry.

Hedgehog