Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog Hedgehogs and rats Reply To: Hedgehogs and rats

I am still feeding two hogs.. one quite small but fattening up and one just greedy. Discovered I had a big rat influx with a family of 5 at the feeding station! I am prepared to tolerate one or two but these were eating all the hog food and my bird fat blocks.
I purchased a bait box and have been putting that alongside the feeding station.. the rats have taken it and I no longer have a rat problem. I was a bit worried about my small hog but saw it feeding one evening and then exiting over the top of the bait box… rats gone.. hogs still fattening up.. problem solved!
Surprsingly easy to tell who is who… hogs are messy eaters and tend to leave a thin layer of food spread by their spines… rats clean up the lot up!
Mark

Hedgehog