Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat hedgehog house Reply To: hedgehog house

Hi-
I wouldn’t drive yourself mad about your hedgehog houses.
This is not official hedgehog info – just my thoughts.
Hedgehogs have been around a very long time and their bodies have adapted to survive hibernation. Before we had hedgehog houses they would make their nests in all sorts of places (and still do) and as we have seen on the forum they can go under sheds in disused dog kennels etc.
So a nice wooden house with readily available straw and leaves will be an added bonus for them if they choose to live there. They could just as easily choose to make a nest under a hedge.
I would be interested to see what others say but I don’t think you need to go over the top insulating them as the nest they make is insulated and if it got too warm perhaps the HH wouldn’t go into full hibernation. These are my own ramblings……..
You are doing a great job what with Sweetpea and volunteering and you don’t need to feel guilty about anything you do. Every little bit of help you give is great but we must all remember they are wild animals and let mother nature do her bit.
Would also like to know what you think of the Vale course when you do it.
Take care

Hedgehog