Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat hedgehog house Reply To: hedgehog house

Good evening, Nic, hedgie lover, simbo65,
Haven’t been around for a few days, captcha obviously doesn’t like my answers and after a few attempts I usually ‘give up’
However, regarding ‘hedgehog houses’ for some years now, when gardening (we have big gardens) I have always left a plastic box minimum 12 inches x 12 inches with 6 inches of roof height’ with a CD sized opening at either end and usually with a couple of bricks, with a slate or similar ‘roof’ as an ‘entry/departure’ points I usually put a bit of plywood raised off the ground with a couple of pieces of broken bricks in the box to to give it a bit of insulation from the ground, I generally put in a couple of handful of leaves and wooden shavings in.
I then cover the ‘hoose’ with whatever waterproof materials I have at hand, then I then hoy leaves, and other garden ‘detritus’ over it, and then hopefully let ‘nature take its course.
It doesn’t take a lot of time/effort or money, the construction materials are usually what would be taken to the local tip.
But whether used or not, they provide loads of ‘neuks n crannies’ for hedgehogs …and other wildlife.
Also, I can point out to ‘wor lass’ that I am ‘obeying instructions’ when she queries the untidy bits of the garden.
Win win😁👍

Hedgehog