Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat hedgehog house Reply To: hedgehog house

Hi Hedgie Lover, hope I’m not giving you duff info here, but I read not to wrap the wooden box in plastic as it sweats and causes condensation which could them make inside damp and musty/fungy. What I did was put a loose covering of a tarp over the box with bricks on top and left it sticking out at the sides where I left some hey. The emergency one I made a few weeks ago was out of a plastic box, which was all I had, I stood it upside down on floorboards with a door cut on one end. I put a brick inside like you do for a feeding station, and put hey in behind the brick. Air can get in over the brick and around it. However, with it being thin plastic I did wrap bubble wrap around the outside and put a loose tarp over the top. I had to make a tunnel of bricks. If you have a resident hog in your house now, I wouldn’t go messing with it now so leave well alone. Like me, you are feeling sorry for them out in this cold and we are looking at it from our point of view of how cold we think it is. I for one have to try and get out of the habit of putting myself in that situation! Hope you are well, best wishes.

Hedgehog