Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat hedgehog house Reply To: hedgehog house

Nic

I think 12 by 12 is probably too small for a hog to build a hibernation nest in, but I agree, a good home for other small wildlife if a hog turns it down. You could make a good bug hotel with a box that size. Just fill it with bits of wood of different diameter (with the ends towards the entrance to the box), with maybe the odd bit of corrugated cardboard rolled up. I have done a similar thing on a larger scale with an old tea chest. It had only been in place a few days before some bumble bees moved in. But there are loads of other bugs, spiders, etc. living in there.

I think it’s probably alright if you insulate before a hog moves in, as they know what they’re dealing with then. But not afterwards. I would avoid plastic.

How to think like a hog – not easy, especially as they seem to like to keep us guessing!

Hedgehog