Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog tales Busybee Reply To: Busybee

Straw is good I believe as it’s good for insulation – when I worked at an animal shelter, they used straw (tons of it) for the pigs to snuggle under in the winter, and also the sheep.

Although pigs have got a reputation for being unclean, they keep their bedding superbly clean, you only have to replace it if it gets wet with the rain – with the sheep – you have to replace it every day, as they toilet on it.

I put straw in the hedgehog home I’ve got and it’s been a success – however, for one week, every night at the same time, Sapphire, who is the resident, was also carrying leaves and bringing it in – so must be rampacked by now, however, I have seen she’s dragged some of the leaves out earlier this week- so I wonder if she got too warm?

When I rescued an underweight (Sweetpea) I kept her in a cage, and had a little cardboard box which I’d give her some straw each day, and she was really good about not defecating in her box, but she also liked to pull the straw out, so perhaps they do that when they feel too warm?

Hedgehog