Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog tales Busybee Reply To: Busybee

Nic

It’s the same every year with the rescue hospitals. Part of it is probably because some hoglets are ‘rescued’ too early and then everywhere is full up by the time the late ones come along. Some places seem to be ignoring, or maybe don’t know about, the advice from BHPS regarding releasing during the winter. https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/guidance-on-releasing-rehabilitated-hedgehogs/

But it is very sad for any hogs in the flooded areas.

The hoglets probably won’t mind the cold, Hedgie Lover. When I have had non-hibernating hogs, they still visited all winter. I can’t remember the temperature exactly, but they were very cold winters and the only days they didn’t get here were when the snow was too deep. As soon as they could get through, they were back again.

Siili was here last night, simbo65. She has missed a couple of nights recently (or the camera has missed her!) and I thought she might be thinking of hibernating. I’m having terrible trouble with a particularly enterprising cat. It’s trying to get a balance with making sure Siili can get the food and blocking the cat out. I normally try to keep things in the same place for Siili, but have had to put some obstacles in the way and hope she finds the way through.

It’s unfortunate that Siili won’t use the box, because I think I may have stopped the cat getting in there. The food in there hasn’t been touched since my last changes. But maybe I’ve stopped Siili as well! Luckily, last night she got here first, to the outside food. But the cat still managed to get to the remains. So tonight, there is yet another obstacle. I would be impressed by that cat, if it wasn’t such a nuisance! So far the cat is still winning!

Hedgehog