Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Poo spotted despite builder's mess… Reply To: Poo spotted despite builder's mess…

Nic

Hi Annie

Yes, the cats, or really, one cat in particular has been an absolute pest. You wouldn’t believe the contraption I have built now. Luckily Siili (yes she is still around) can still get in, but I’ve had to resort to water trays and saucers all over the place. At the moment it seems to be working, which is just as well – Siili isn’t really helping by arriving so late! Yes, I like cats, really. I just wish they wouldn’t try to eat Siili’s food, not to mention poo-ing all over my garden. When I had a cat, he had a litter tray, which he was happy to use. He also stayed in at night, which he also didn’t mind – he was brought up like that from a kitten. I wonder how much wildlife would be saved, if only people kept their cats in at night. It’s safer for them, too. Also would be handy for feeding the hogs!

Sorry to hear about all the building round there. The only thing, from the hogs’ point of view, about it is that if all the gardens had hog holes and there was a huge hog highway, it could potentially be better for them than a field with just grass and fences round the edge. It does depend a bit on people trying to make their gardens wildlife friendly, but that does seem to be becoming a bit more popular. It’s much better, of course if the developers include hog holes in the first place. I suspect people are less likely to fill them in than to make them themselves. Then, of course there are the strimmers and slug pellets. Oh dear! But in the countryside they have cutting machines/chemicals as well and dwindling suitable habitat, it seems.

Yes, if only someone would try to sort out all the environmental problems. We can only hope. But yes, looking forward to the Spring, now, too. I haven’t seen any hogs, other than Siili, so hope they are safely hibernating somewhere and are back here fit and well in the Spring. Hopefully those there, too.

All the usual birds are still visiting, although the blackbirds here at the moment seem very shy compared to their Summer cousins. I see them early in the morning on the cameras, but not so much later. The starlings are having a lovely time on the contraption to keep the cat out – they seem to think it’s a new climbing frame for them. It’s quite fun watching them finding a way in to finish off the hog food. Some more inventive than others. One squeezed it’s way through one of the mesh segments one day – not sure it was really any quicker than going round! A bit of a tight fit, too!

Happy Christmas to you, too.

Hedgehog