Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog this is what mealworms does to a hedgehog Reply To: this is what mealworms does to a hedgehog

Nic

Hi Mariekatie

I am assuming in my reply that we are talking about a wild European hedgehog who has access to natural food as well.

Yes, stop feeding the mealworms. Do it gradually if the hog goes on strike and refuses to eat. Also give the digestive biscuits a miss. Not good for the teeth apart from anything else. The hogs don’t need any extra treats, what we give them is the extra treat and you’re better off sticking to the cat food. Make sure that there is water available 24 hours a day, every day, all year round.

Is it the actual skin which is white or the spines. If it’s the spines, it may be that someone has artificially marked the hog. If it’s the skin, it might be a good idea to ring your local carer/rehabilitator/wildlife hospital and explain it more precisely to them and take their advice. You can find the number of your nearest ones by contacting BHPS on 01584 890801.

Good luck. I hope the hog continues to do well.

Hedgehog