Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat Advice needed on setting up a Hog Sanctuary Reply To: Advice needed on setting up a Hog Sanctuary

Hi Paul,

I’m going to give you your first reply on this – I have no doubt however- that there are people very much better furnished with the details and knowledge than I, that will contribute before too long also. We need a Hugh Warwick input here…….
Hedgehogs are protected under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 – which probably doesnt go far enough for these poor creatures really – but it does restrict the capture, captive breeding and any rerelease of them under the circumstances you describe above.
In summary – it would be considered illegal and would get you into trouble.
Added to this – there is also more recent guidance provided by BHPS on suitable habitat for hogs – and it advises to avoid habitat where there is no evidence of hogs already as there is usually a good reason for it (predators, disease and or food source restrictions). If a habitat were suitable for hogs, they would already be there to some extent.
Having said all the above – you may have identified an option that a respected hog expert could survey and confirm or not whether you could be a potential release site for local hog hospitals who cannot return their hogs to the locations they originated from (for whatever reason). Which could then also provide a monitoring opportunity on a developing hog community.

Hedgehog