Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat Community project ideas Reply To: Community project ideas

Nic

Hi Neil

That all sounds absolutely brilliant. You are so lucky to have such an area.

I haven’t ever been involved in that sort of thing, but, for what it’s worth …..

It sounds as if you have done a fair bit of money spending already with the hog houses and the leaflet drop. Most of the things I can think of otherwise, by way of improving the habitat, could probably, as you say, be done fairly cheaply with the help of volunteers.

I don’t know how much support you have, but it seems to me that education is an important part of this sort of project. So that maybe you could do talks, etc. and maybe if you had some camera traps, you could illustrate to people the progress that was being made. Of course there is the security angle to think about, i.e. would cameras potentially be a target for theft, etc. but something you might like to think about. The more people know about hogs, the more likely they are to help them, so that would, hopefully, ultimately help the hogs in general. At the same time it may encourage more people to become involved with your charity and enjoy the fresh air and emotional wellbeing that a connection with nature can provide.

You may already know that there are lots of downloadable resources https://www.zooniverse.org/projects/zooniverse/snapshot-serengeti/talk/subjects/34794060
But I wonder whether this is the sort of thing which PTES Hedgehog Officer might have some more suggestions about. Contact details hedgehog@ptes.org

Good luck I hope you come up with some suitable ideas and manage to get the grant. Let us know how things go.

Hedgehog